Around the world, spring is synonymous with youth, fertility, the return of warmth, life, and flowers; of which cherry blossoms often come to mind. One of Japan’s natural flowers, these pink blooms sprout from trees otherwise inconspicuous, inspiring sentiments of awe, appreciation and fulfilment among all who view it. Yet, while they are beautiful, these petals have wistful connotations – the two weeks between their blossom and fade often remind people of beauty’s ephemeral nature, bringing rise to the resolve that life, while short, should be lived to its fullest.
Since time immemorial, nature’s masterpieces have long played muse to the likes of artists. Till today, the role of cherry blossoms in art still persists, reminding and rousing people in this modern, fast-paced world of its timeless yet fleeting beauty. On your travels to see these stunning blooms, why not complement your hanami (also known as flower-watching) with this playlist? Here are 50 songs to inspire in you the feelings of youth, happiness and wistfulness that often come with the descent of cherry blossoms.
For your hanami party, head to one of many cherry blossom viewing spots with your friends and family. Bring a picnic mat with you, and relax beneath the blossoms with some dango, bento and sake. While you’re at it, why not plug in a portable speaker and enjoy this playlist?
Do note that some of these songs may be available on YouTube but not on Spotify and vice versa, so they may be skipped over depending on the platform from which you play them.
- Zenzenzense (前前前世) [Cover] – Kobasolo, Lefty Hand Cream
- Your Lie In April [Medley] – AmaLee, Dima Lancaster
- One Step, Two Steps (한 발짝 두 발짝) – Oh My Girl
- Flower, Wind And You (꽃, 바람 그리고 너) – Ki Heehyun, Jeon Somi, Kim Chungha, Choi Yoojung [Produce 101]
- I – Kim Taeyeon
- I Still Believe – Hayden Panettiere
- One In A Million – Twice
- Nirvana – Tia (Supercell)
- Sakura, I Love You? – Kana Nishino
- Remember [English Ver.] – S.E.S
- I Wish (너에게 닿기를) – Cosmic Girls (WJSN)
- On The Road (그 길에서) – DIA
- The Art Of Succinct Compliments – Summertime’s End
- Perfect – Falling Feathers
- Take Heart – The Sam Willows
- Pretty U – Seventeen
- Honey And The Bee – Owl City
- Blossom (꽃이 폈어요) – Wings
- In The Same Place (같은곳에서) – Produce 101
- When The Cherry Blossoms Fade (벚꽃이 지면) – I.O.I
- illa illa – Juniel
- 60 Sec (Acoustic Version) – Kim Sunggyu [Infinite]
- Flower Way (꽃길) – Kim Sejeong [Gugudan/I.O.I], Zico
- Around You (다녀가요) – Hyunjin (현진) [LOOΠΔ (이달의 소녀)]
- Settle Down – Gentle Bones
- Stay – Blackpink
- Unchanging Things/Kawaranai Mono (変わらないもの) – Hanako Oku (奥 華子)
- Don’t You Worry Child (Cover) – Sam Tsui, Kurt Hugo Schneider
- Butterfly – BTS
- Peach – IU
- Love You (爱你) – Kimberley Chen (陳芳語)
- One Day – Drake Law
- Run – BTS
- Begin Again – Taylor Swift
- Tell Me You Love Me (좋다고 말해) – Bolbbalgan4 (볼빨간사춘기)
- MouseDeer – iNCH
- All About Us – He Is We, Owl City
- How Great Is Your Love (봄날) – Girls’ Generation/SNSD
- Don’t Go (나비소녀) – EXO
- The Only Exception – Paramore
- Sunflower – Younha
- Why Don’t You Love Me – Hot Chelle Rae, Demi Lovato
- For You (너를 위해) – Chen, Baekhyun, Xiumin [EXO]
- I Novel – Radwimps
- 8dayz [English Ver.] – Megan Lee
- Address – HubbaBubbas
- Be With You – Akdong Musician
- Panic Cord – Gabrielle Aplin
- One Spring Day – Radwimps
- Can't Help Falling In Love – Elvis Presley
"The pathos of things"
Like all good things, the cherry blossoms too have their end to meet. We hope that your hanami party has been enhanced with this playlist, and that your sense of mono no aware (もののあわれ, lit. “the pathos of things”), or sensitivity to ephemera, has been inspired with this experience.
You might be interested in these Airbnbs!
Get Trip101 in your inbox